While Shane experiences new first after new first, I believe there is something to be said about the "firsts" that first-time moms experience as well. In fact, I think it needs to be talked about more often. I mean this is a new path, this motherhood, that women all over the world experience every single day which means many of us feel the same way: anxious, fearful, worried, hilariously excited, adventurous.... So while I'm walking in the newness of Shane's firsts, I'm also wading through many "first firsts" of my own.
These are my firsts:
First six-hour stretch of sleep,
First look in the mirror at 4 p.m.,
First bags under my eye... that become familiar,
First breakfast with husband after a one-week absence,
First bathing of slippery, wet, crying newborn,
First 30 minute table conversation discussing circumcision,
First time it wasn't odd to talk for 30 min. about circumcision,
First discussions of pee and poop over breakfast,
First discussion of pee and poop over breakfast that wasn't "disgusting",
First "morning" shower in late afternoon,
First "morning" cup of coffee in late afternoon (now cold),
First red-cushioned chair with rear-end imprints,
First seeing of dawns sun rays slip into the early a.m. hours,
First frustrations with newborn who won't sleep,
First frustrations with myself for being frustrated with our newborn,
First time I've felt cold in nine months,
First outing with our newborn,
First outing without our newborn,
First time falling asleep with Shane.
Isn't time we celebrate the firsts of motherhood!?
3 comments:
Wonderful Libs! How true it is... You are doing a great job and are an amazing mom. Big Hugs!!
I am so glad you are sharing. You are so right! Women around the globe experience all of these things and we need to embrace with each other (one day for me) all the emotions…
It makes me smile to read them.
Libs,
Thanks for sharing. I love your lists. Amen to celebrating our firsts.
The one I laughed at, because I still experience this everday, is the first (cold) cup of coffee. I can't wait till my first completed warm cup of coffee. (But then again, I do drink my coffee pretty slow :)
Keep sharing. I love how you eloquently describe the daily emotions and events of motherhood.
Love,
Trish
Post a Comment