It’s been a while since I’ve given blood for a charitable cause. For quite some time I wasn’t able to donate my blood because of the malaria medication I was taking. But I am back in business and doing my good deed once again.
The whole process will look different to most, but not to worry; the concept is still the same. This is how it works.
Late at night, stumble out of bed and make your way to the room from which a cry is heard. Upon reaching and comforting the hungry/wet infant, proceed to the nearest cushioned chair (the cushion is most important for the duration of this process). With water bottle at your side and a small desk lamp shedding light on your lap, the infant is strategically placed and his cries muffled out.
Now, the needle for this blood donation is quite different than your past experiences at a blood bank. These “needles” are quite, quite small, and its prick doesn’t hurt. It itches. Itches, itches, itches. Itchitchitch. That’s the side effect of this blood donation. Oh, and you can’t move to itchitchitch or to squash the fluttering itch-inducer, because there’s a babe in your arms and he’s falling asleep.
So you sit with the night air causing your face to perspire and your infant child softly quiet, and the blood donation carries on. Prick, itch, itch, prick. Occasionally the itch can be prevented by a couple swats to the left and right, but your attempts overall are in vain.
It’s good to know that not only am I am a source of life-sustaining nutrients to my child, but to a charitable cause as well. I can sleep tonight knowing this.
Itchitchitch.
3 comments:
Ah, how very pampered I suddenly feel....
Bummer! You'd think nature would give you a break during this time . . . but I guess no such luck!
You had be going for a minute there! I actually though you may have given blood after giving birth and I was like "NO WAY!" But what you described doesn't sound any better!
Post a Comment