Sunday, December 31, 2006

My B-day and Driving Under the Influence.

I was born Dec. 30th, 31 years ago. So two days ago Ben and I celebrated the life my mother and father gave me. It was a quiet day... not necessarily by choice either. Because that very morning Saddam Hussein was executed in Baghdad. I'm unsure of what was being reported in the USA, but across the media in India, riots were being reported to have broken out. Anti-Americanism was pretty high. So being wise but not frightened in any way, Ben and I re-evaluated my birthday plans for the day, and instead of an outing in a public setting we settled for lunch at a five-star restaurant. Ben ordered his first hamburger in 11 months and afterwards told me "I don't think I can drive home. I'd be driving under the influence... of beef." It's been a looong time since he's had that much beef--he actually had to force himself to eat the last two bites of the hamburger! I couldn't believe it myself. My beet/spinach salad was amazing.

That evening a gang of Indian friends dropped in. As Indian tradition teaches, I bought my own birthday cake. Then Ben fed me a slice of the chocolate cake, they sang, we ate, and the night lulled into the evening. It was a fun birthday. Not what we'd planned or expected (who does expect a world leader to be executed on their birthday?!), but that's exactly what we're getting more and more accustomed to... expect the unexpected in India.

Not only do I get a new age this year, I also get a new name... mom.

3 comments:

Jenn Sanders said...

"Not only do I get a new age this year, I also get a new name... mom."

Ok - is that the sweetest thing I have heard!

Jennifer said...

When your little one says "mom" for the first time...your heart will melt (even more so than when they first looked and you and really looked at you, or smiled at you or laughed at you). We are so thrilled for you guys and are thinking of you and your easy delivery every day!
Jenn

Anonymous said...

I thought that getting married and becoming a wife was great, when I became a mom, life couldn't get sweeter! Being a mom is the greatest gift I have ever been given. You are going to be a great mom because you are so good with kids and you have your greatest helper the Lord! So happy for you and can't wait to hear when your little one comes.