Tuesday, January 02, 2007

500 Pages Later

500 pages were given to me on my birthday.

Ben snuck into our computers and retrieved every single letter we have ever exchanged. From a summer day six years ago where he took me to lunch, to the wintery November day I emailed my best friends with the news of our engagement, time has been encapsulated our letters.

Over the course of four years, 500 pages of email were exchanged between Ben and I. We started out as strangers ("Who is Libby Crawford?"; "Who is that tall guy with a cast on his leg?!!"). Over the course of four years, we became friends and then we became friends that knew we could not do life without the other.

Ours was a long-distance relationship. Ben was in India while I studied in the USA. We expected to stay in touch through the 1.5 years he was abroad, but only our prayers and whispers to heaven would eventually lead us to marriage.

Now it's all here in one fat book!

One of my favorites, among many, of Ben's emails:

Sent Sept. 15, 2001.
Ben sent friend John on a "mission" to get any information he could about my status: single or taken? John sent Ben this email after finishing this secret task.

Ben, regarding the project I was supposed to do, I spoke with him (Libby's dad), who said that there are no strings attached currently so you are free to proceed as the Lord leads you.

One of Ben's favorite, among many, of Libby's emails:

Sent Dec. 2, 2001.
Hi Ben.
I'm glad I woke up...
...before you gave up.
Libby

It's the "Story of Ben and Libby Spotts". Written in history and ours now to experience again and again and again....

6 comments:

Jenn Sanders said...

How sweet is that?!

Anonymous said...

What an amazing man the Lord has given you! You deserve it enjoy it. Love you guys Des

Kim G. said...

What a great thing for your kids to read some day! They will love that!

Happy belated birthday - it sounds like you had a great day. :)

Amber Himes said...

That, my friend, is more sweetness that I can handle!!

What a gift!

Jesse and Sarah said...

I'm impressed you guys were able to save all those letters. Once I'm done reading something, I delete it.

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday! Ben's gift was so sweet and romantic! Sounds like you had a nice birthday.