Thursday, December 21, 2006

A reader is a leader...and a great life partner

Yes, this is Ben (aka Libby's hubby) posting on Libby's blog. I stole her password because I need to brag a bit. When I first started dating Libby in 2001, one of the things that immediately impressed me was that she loved to learn. Specifically, she loved to expand her world through reading.

In 2006, we both have read quite a few books. Below is the list of what Libby read. I'm impressed by the variety and scope. Of course, in addition to these, she's read about a dozen pregnancy and child rearing books! Anyway, check it out and be sure to ask her which was her favorite.

I'm also posting this because we seriously want to know: what books did you read in 2006 and really appreciate?

-- Libby's 2006 Reading List --
When Life & Beliefs Collide, James
Great Expectations, Dickens
David Copperfield, Dickens
Bleak House, Dickens
Oliver Twist, Dickens
The Pickwick Papers, Dickens
The Kite Runner, Hosseini
Passage to India, Forster
May you be the mother of a hundred sons, Bumiller
The Bookseller of Kabul, Seierstad
In the Presence of my Enemies, Burnham
Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress, Dai Sijie
Too Small to Ignore, Stafford
The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, Bronte
Bitter Chocolate, Pinki
Untouchable, Anand
The God of Small Things, Roy
Jane Eyre, Bronte

7 comments:

Brad said...

Hi-jacker husband and Libby

Kim is the real reader in this family... It has been fun watching Natalie blossom as a hungry reader too. This year I can honestly say I have read only four books and I highly recommend them.
1. Whiteman's Gospel - Craig Stephen Smith.
2. Confucius Lives Next Door - TR Reid.
3. Lost Names - Richard Kim.
4. Waking the Dead - John Eldredge.

Merry Christas Birth Celebration

Brad G

Jennifer said...

Hey guys!
Okay, I have to admit that although I absolutely love to read, I haven't had much time this year. I've started a few books and I'm working on finishing them:

To Own a Dragon-Donald Miller
Captivating-John & Staci Eldredge
Sacred Romance-John Eldredge
Holy Habits (my Bible study)
Messy Spirituality

Books I've finished:
Goodnight Moon
God is Bigger Than The Boogie Man
Curious George
Toy Story 2
Kisses
Froggy's Sleepover


I hope you guys have a great "holiday season."

Love,
Jenn

Catherine said...

Ok. In no particular order, these are the books I can remember finishing in 2006. This does not include the many, many pregnancy and parenting books, “fluff” book I don’t bother to report when my brain was pregnancy-numb, books for work, and my newest genre – board books. (I put a star by the ones I highly recommend):

Hard Times - Charles Dickens
Great Expectations - Dickens (re-read)
Sense and Sensebility - Austin (re-read)
The Red Tent -by Anita Diamant
*Anna Karenina - Tolstoy
*Life of Pi – Yann Martel
Da Vinci Code – Dan Brown
The Great Giveaway - by David E. Fitch
*A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - Betty Smith
*Great With Child - Debra Rienstra
My Life as Told By Water - David James Duncan
*River Teeth – David James Duncan
The Last Word and the Word After That – Brian McLaren
*The Secret Message of Jesus - Brian McLaren
*Girl Meets GOD – Lauren Winner
*Mudhouse Sabbath – Lauren Winner
*Walking Home -- Kelly Winters
*The Kite Runner -- Khaled Hosseini
*The Secret life of Bees – Sue Kid Monk
* Memoirs of a Geisha – Arthur Golden
*The Giver - Lois Lowry (re-read)
*Searching for God knows what - Donald Miller
*Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card (re-read)
Shadow of the Hegemon – Orson Scott Card
Speaker for the Dead - Orson Scott Card
*Xenocide – Orson Scott Card
Children of the Mind – Orson Scott Card
Return of the Native - Thomas Hardy
Into Thin Air – Jon Krackauer
The Bridge to Terabithia – Katharine Patterson
The Best Christmas Pageant Ever - Barbara Robinson (re-read)
Why the Sky Is Blue – Susan Meissner
The Iron Lance – Stephen Lawhead

Catherine said...

Oh, and Libby - regarding the books you read - didn't you LOVE Kite runner? And you already know how I feel about Dickens. What did you think of "God of Small Things?" I awarded it the Catherine 2001 Book of the Year Award, but now that time has passed, I think back to the main plots and think - how could I have LIKED that, and haven't been able to re-read. I'd really love to hear what you thought! And, I'm about to start "Balzac and the little Chinese Seamstress" - what do you think of that one?

Anonymous said...

Hey there! Happy Christmas season! I read:
- The Devil Wears Prada, Lauren Weisberger
- Captivating, John & Staci Eldredge
- The Sacred Romance, John Eldredge
- Riverside Talks, Luis Palau
- The Pleasures of God, Piper
- Red Storm Rising, Tom Clancy
- The God of Small Things, Roy
- A Christmas Story, Roy
- Out of this World, Lowell Thomas, Jr.
- Kanchii's Quest, Kath White
- Detour From Tibet, David Woodward
- Total Forgiveness, KT Kendall
- Having A Mary Heart in a Martha World, Joanna Weaver
- The Broker, John Grisham
(and hundreds of blogs)

Have a great holiday season, sharing about His birth!

Bonnie

Libby said...

Cath asked how I feel about Kite Runner? LOVED IT. A fav. for yr 2006. An emotionally draining rollercoaster. I was in bed by 8:00 the night I finished it--so wiped out.

God of Small Things. Not a re-read . But I do respect the authors artistic touch and her points on India's poor. Plot got messy towards end. But glad I've read it.

Anonymous said...

Hey Libby, after reading your most recent newsletter, I was prompted to check out the blog. Books; what a great topic. I'll spare my list, but noticed that you had read
Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress. Loved it.
Also really liked Kite Runner. (Re-read Jane Eyre, too). I recommend Life of Pi--noticed your friend Catherine read it. Didn't like the Red Tent. Also recommend Skeletons on the Zahara--Dean King;
and Coming Home--Rosamund Pilcher. Don't know that you'll have much time in the near future for books, though. Sleep well!
--Krista