
When I was just a child Selma, Mahiyan and Ardiyan helped my folks around the house. Raising a family full-time is one thing; doing it in the middle of the jungle is another challenge. Of course my mom did a marvelous job! She played Strawberry Shortcake with me (on the floor no doubt), and helped assemble forts on the middle of the living room with bamboo chairs and hand-stitched blankets from America. My childhood years in the wilds of Borneo were great.
In addition to my mom, some other women who also made it great were the three women I mentioned. I liked them when I was a child. They made me homemade bagels, and folded my laundry, played with me, and let me annoy them without saying a word. I liked them. And I love them now. In my adult years after we'd replanted our lives elsewhere, the memories of these dear women blossomed and my history was all the more sweet because of them.
This is a picture of Mahiyan. She's about 4 foot 6 inches. The last time I saw her she'd grown thin and frail. She was dying of liver failure, and passed away soon thereafter.
I hope my children grow to love the women (and men) in their lives that care for them in innumerable ways. Even if they like them now, I know they'll someday love them too.
1 comment:
Hi Libby,
As I read your entry and look at the picture about the women who helped your mom when you were young, I can't help think about the women who helped my mother in the philippines when my dad was on TDY (tour of duty) in the military. Back then my mom was a single parent because my dad was gone alot when we were young. Like you I have a picture of myself with one of the many women who helped my mom. I don't have much memory of the lady or the others but what I do have is appreciation that I had very nice ladies who cared and helped raise me. thanks for sharing Lib.
Post a Comment