Friday, December 15, 2006

Drop the Hanky

Blond hair, blue eyes, white skin. At one time in life, these physical features were my greatest curse for it separated me from the very people I wanted the most to be like—dark skinned, dark eyed, dark haired. From my earliest memories I was surrounded by people who looked different than I. Some were my teachers, others my care takers, and many, many were my friends. As a child I had no idea that I was any different. This is what I call innocence. Pure and green.

Among the zillions of attributes that make children glow, this is one of my favorites; the innocence from adult-world reality. The politically correct, ultra polite, wear-my-happy-face-mask of adults has yet to rob them. When children are happy, they squeal in delight, clap their hands, giggle controllably. When children are sad they cry, even if it’s in the middle of a crowd and there’s people in the crowd to impress. Most of the time they don’t try to hid behind a hanky even (scandalous) but let the tears drip, drip, drip. When children are angry they shout—instead of trying to find polite words that beat around the bush but still hurt others feelings. When children want attention they hang on mommy’s sleeve until kisses and cuddles suffice their need.

What if I burst out in “Jingle Bells” today because I feel happy it’s Christmas. What if I responded to my friends “How are you?” with honesty that might uncover a vulnerable vein in my body? What if I laughed real hard, what if I cried real hard and didn’t look for a hanky? What if I used my words “I need you” instead of pouting and assuming its known?

I want to be innocent this holiday season. Pure and green. Though there is very little in this little town of Hyderabad that reminds me of Christmas, maybe a little childlike innocence is the key to holiday spirit.

Jingle on friends!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas my dear freind. I love you dearly and wish you Ben and the baby all the joy of this seasons true meaning. You're adored.

Jenn Sanders said...

Love you dearly!!! May you strive to be who you are without veil. I think this is something we all strive for although are afraid. May we seek.

Anonymous said...

I miss you.

Anonymous said...

Libby,
I agree that we as adults need to teach our children that it is okay to feel and not put on fake fronts for others. I try not to hide my feelings from my girls!! They need to know that even adults hurt, and are happy, and have feelings. Merry Christmas to you Ben, and Baby. Love you guys DesaRae

Anonymous said...

So who is the gal in the picture with you? Was it a recent picture? Just curious. Thanks!

Libby said...

Who is the lady in the picture? Well that is Selma my Indonesian sister. Ben and I were with her in Feb. 2005. That picture is taken on the sandy shores of the South China Sea. Selma also worked for my folks as a house helper when we lived there years ago. She's the closest person to a sister that I have.