Some thoughts I've had this week.
#1. I have wrestled and grappled with the age-old question, "Why do bad things happen to good people."
Nevertheless, a question I have never intentionally studied, and I ought to, is..."Why do bad things happen to bad people," or, "What happens when bad things happen to bad people?" I need to know my response, as believer, in such a situation.
#2. Man (generic) can do great things, but this does mean he is a great man?
Additional thoughts?
6 comments:
Hmmm...still thinking...I'll get back to you if I have anything I can add. You are hitting on some things I've been thinking of as I've been reading through Acts. But I don't have anything to say yet except for the typical sounding answer, "God is in control, he knows what he's doing, and to him be all the glory."
Question # 2 is very interesting to me... #2. Man (generic) can do great things, but this does mean he is a great man.
Very intersting thought. There are several people who do great things because they think they should or they know it will "get them to the next level" in life, success, religious status. They could be doing it all for the wrong reasons. Does it take away from the things they are doing?
If we go at with the heart of Christ and knowing that we can't do it alone, is it different? I think so. I also think that people can genuinely be good people apart from God. Is that really possible?
The question I want to ask is, "Why do good things happen to 'bad' (sinful) people." Do we give ourselves more credit than we ought for being "good" people? I sometimes wonder why God allows his grace and mercy to move over us so swiftly and flawlessly. Are we deserving of such good things??
Jenn,
In response to your comment,it's a good question to think about.. does doing good stuff for the wrong reasons take away the fact that people are doing "good stuff." I think it does, just as you said. The mind of Christ, challenges us to think against all the standards the world gives us to define "success." And are there genuinely good people apart from God? Sure...I'd agree with that. But "good" doesn't make an eternal impact. "Good" is also being given many definitions in a relativistic society. What does "good" mean to you?
Rach,
Good questions. Good things happen to bad people because it's simply the sinful nature of our world. Bad is rewarded as good. What we have to determine and define for ourselves, is what it "good" and what is "bad." That may be the start of finding the answers... or not :)
What a big question and an interesting twist on a familiar debate.
Some passages come to my mind as I read the discussion here.
good acts for the wrong reason:
1Co 3:12-15 Now if any man builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, each man's work will become evident; for the day will show it because it is to be revealed with fire, and the fire itself will test the quality of each man's work. If any man's work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward. If any man's work is burned up, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.
good coming to bad people:
The OT is filled with how the wicked prosper but only temporarily. God will bring his judgement on the wicked, though He allows apparent victory for time. The psalms are the ones that come to mind most with this theme.
Why do bad things happen to bad people? I guess the answer is just quite difficult to say because it sounds so harsh. It can simply be the consequence of the bad choices they have made. But it can also ultimately be God's righteous judgement.
Has anyone read The Holiness of God by RC Sproul? That book really impacted me. It explores our utter sinfulness in light of God's tremendous holiness. Then he goes on to appreciate God's great mercy in light of these facts. Man's judgement is always deserved. Mercy is always exceptional and is what keeps our world spinning round and round and these quandries still visible.
Deep thoughts.
Post a Comment