Since the announcement of our pregnancy with number four (due end of March), I have been asked the question of how my current health issues with tuberculosis mesh with pregnancy. It's a great question. One I asked myself when we first found out about the pregnancy some months ago.
In an attempt to answer this question that seems to be on every one's mind including mine, the answer is that the fetus is not affected by the TB and the treatment plan I am currently on. The treatment plan is simply me on TB medication ever day for the next four more months. In February when the treatment ends, I will have a clean bill of health. And although my body will have a higher chance of contracting the disease again, the TB currently in my leg will be completely eradicated. Thank you Jesus. Shall we talk about the irony in the fact that the very month I end my TB treatment, is the VERY month the TB began. That's one full circle. But up until February 2011, I will take my little horse pills ritualistically. And I will pray a lot. Because although the fetus is not being effected, there is a sense of vulnerability and responsibility I feel for its life. Thank goodness the life of my baby is NOT in my hands--I believe his/her life belongs to The One who created it in my womb, my Lord and Savior--but I will do my part to be responsible with my own body that He also created. I have met with my dear doctor here in India, who will oversee all OB appointments as usual including now, my TB regiment. She's so fantastic that I'm almost tempted to keep having babies just for the sake of being able to see her every month. Almost tempted.
So although it felt scary and confusing at first, TB and a pregnancy do mesh. Now it's not ideal of course. Don't you go out and get TB yourself then carry a baby at the same time. Not because its going to compromise your baby (well, to be honest my team of nurses and doctors were holding their breath my first trimester, come to find out) but because it's hard on your head and your heart. Today, as in right here and now I feel totally healthy. Well I am. I mean my body is forming life within--how much stronger can a body be--and it's also at the end of fighting this infectious disease. And I have plenty of ammo running through my blood to care for both. It's just that it's not ideal, and I think you'd agree with me. But it is what it is. Thank you Jesus for this precious gift of life.
I am 16 weeks pregnant and I am also four months shy of being done with TB. I am thrilled to be carrying this baby. This is good stuff. It's good to be here, looking back and knowing the future is bright, brighter, brightest. And I'm the happiest about the fact that I don't have any reason to question the Lord. He did, he is, he will take care of us.
1 comment:
This IS good stuff, Libby! I am so thankful you are feeling strong and healthy and to know that your baby is not affected by the TB or treatment plan. Your wonderful blog posts and Facebook updates remind me to pray for you and your family. Thanks so much for this update and good news.
Shelley Laverty
Post a Comment