Monday, March 22, 2010

The rose-colored glasses turned the shade of perspective.

So here's the skinny.

Six weeks ago, on the day Asha was born I took a fall in the hospital room which has resulted in six weeks of pain, pain, and more pain. I had to pee and forgot that my legs were numb, so down I went like a sack of potatoes my left leg crumpling in a direction that it wasn't designed to crumple in. Today we got the MRI back (that's after getting the injured area drained, then poked, pulled on and jerked around by the surgeon, good man that he is) and our final answer is that I have a deep-tissue muscle tear in my lower thigh and around the knee. We are thankful it isn't surgery-worthy. The swelling is going down though there is still "heat" around the injury and night times, when Asha isn't feeding, are the hardest times to find a position that it's tear-giving painful. Physiotherapy is next. I anticipate there will be some pain driving a stick-shift so we are pushing for home visits from the therapist. That, and having a newborn whose needs are around the clock. I've been told total recovery will take "longer than I want" which means being a bit uncomfortable is something I am going to get used to. I am certain that the little people in the house will help as a distraction.

I can say this is definitely not my ideal post-pregnancy recovery and it's been a rough road of humility. It's more than my parent's signed up for, though if you ask them they'll say God knew exactly what he was doing when they got so much time off from work and what a pleasure it's been being so helpful with the kids. Ben is tired, I'm tired and grumpy and my parent's leave in 48 hours, back to the USA.

Nevertheless, life is all about perspective. The other day I sat next to a mother holding her sleeping toddler who was next in line for the MRI. She patted his back lovingly, patiently. My appointment finished and I asked the father about the child. "Kidney problems" he said and took the child into the room with the huge machine. I listened to the scared tears of the toddler. I looked at my leg.

Perspective. It always helps getting ones head back in order.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad your folks have been there with you. We'll keep you in our daioly prayers! Karen and Lamont

Catherine said...

Oh Libs! I wish I could do more than hold you in my heart, but that I am doing.

Dawn Coleman said...

I'm so sorry that happened! We will keep you in our prayers that your knee recovers quickly!! It's not easy for a mommy to have anything limiting her mobility...

Anonymous said...

You are in our thoughts and prayers. claire