Shane and I were taking a walk. Actually, we were meandering as one does with an almost 2.5 year old and the last ten minutes had been spent inspecting various trees, shrubs, summer bugs and most importantly the cracks in the sidewalk with all their mysteries and discoveries.
As we were meandering and discovering, inspecting and re-inspecting I commented to my toddler on our very quiet street, "Shane-boy where are all the people? Where are all the sounds? Where are all the cars? No people, no sounds, no cars" (our city in India, population 7 million, is a 24/7 stream of endless noise, people and motion).
To which he promptly responded, "So sad. So sad, mommy. So sad."
My husband and I are delighted with the silence we hear all around us, the so few cars, and the lack of crowds (though I realize not all of America is like this). But to my toddler, his response was not only sweet but insightful into his discoveries to a world that is so very very unlike his birth place. I look forward to watching his discoveries unfold.
This is a new world and these are the discoveries in the cracks of the sidewalks he walks.
No comments:
Post a Comment