Wednesday, February 25, 2009

"Once opened, eliminate risk of infestation by storing contents in a well sealed container."

..reads the warning on the box of cornflakes.

It all started very innocently. I wish there was an element of exaggeration to this story. It all started with a piece of toast.

We were toasting the bread as we do every morning, but that morning I found an old piece of toast already there, a forgotten piece probably from the morning before. It was very stale. Into the trash.

I needed some mustard seeds for lunch. I don't use them often so I don't know how long this batch of seeds had been on my shelves. I popped off the plastic lid. The seeds moved. Little black "things" moved. Into the trash went the seeds on top of the stale toast.

A new day, another shelf in the cupboard. I want to snack on raw almonds and unscrew the lid. Something flickers and it's not the kitchen lights. I hold the container arms length away and on cue, a teeny baby cockroach takes flight mocking me as he flutters away. I am beginning to think this is a joke and I'm the punch line.

Same day. Reaching into the far corner of the fridge I grab an unopened container of yogurt. I peel back the lid and, "Argh!!" Black and green mold in various stages of growth, a science project from grade school that would earn the jealousy of every boy and girl. Another "arrrgh!" and into the trash it goes on top of the seeds on top of the stale toast.

And finally...casually taking off the lid of my crock-pot/pressure cooker, I prepare for a quick and easy dinner. I am unprepared for the sight of living organisms. Crawling. Alive. Waving little white bodies back and forth. The lid, the pot, the sides inside and all around crawling. A food item of sorts had obviously been cooked then forgotten about. But for the life of me, I have no idea at all, when I cooked it or what it was! I shrieked. Quite loud. My husband cleaned it out (somewhere) and I soaked and scrubbed and did it three more times before putting the pot back on the kitchen counter.

Infestation. It's not only for the cornflakes box!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I weren't pregnant, I may have enjoyed this post with a chuckle, as is . . . I may be on my way to the bathroom!! So sorry, Libs!!

Catherine said...

Ugh! yes, I am sorry too. We had an incident that began with a bag a rice and culminated in bugs in ALL our pantry food and ended with a bag that used to be rice and...well....it was gross.

I wanted to blog about that story at the time but it was too disgusting for me to even tell it. Maybe some day.

Renee said...

I am not missing that at the moment! We had problems with weevils and roaches too, nothing could be done to eliminate them entirely :(