Thursday, November 06, 2008

Them gals

It's that time of year again. The Annual. Every year "the girls," 11 of us, gather in one place for one week for out-of-control relaxation. And except if they're in diapers, no boys allowed.
I've resolved that every year I miss The Annual, it's gonna be a little tough of a week. I'm feeling the absence of their presence today. A teeny little ache in my heart, a slight sigh deep in my chest. Last year was so incredible, so life-giving, so breath-easy. So very I-can-be-me, so very and-you-seriously-love-me-this-way?!

We've changed since graduation 10 years ago. We're older, bumpier, not as blond, a little more faded and folded around the edges. One thing that ripens with each passing year though is our love. There's a growing vulnerability, a raw realness we push to uncover. Some of the masks we used to wear are growing thin and we like what's underneath. I like that. I like that a lot. Here's to doing life with friends who see the ugly and still
let you go out in public with them.

I am already looking forward to next year when we'll be stateside and I'll be poolside with them all.
A few memories from fall of last year... We had a birthday party for everyone, complete with cake and presents.
We painted toes and found bangles, all the way from India, to match.
Jen's Emma and Libby's Shane were lavished in attention from the girls.
We do lots and lots of this: sitting for hours and hour talking, laughing, crying, and sharing with cups and cups of coffee brewed by Julie who takes orders for lattes every morning.
My maid of honor and dearest friend Mer loving on the cutest boy in the room.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

That's such a great tradition that you have kept up over the years. I'm sorry that you have to miss it this year.

Anonymous said...

It was wonderful, but there was definitely a Libby-shaped-hole & we really missed you. Can't wait to see you next year! It will be here before we know it...