Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Lookin' tired. A mother's badge of honor.

I have to say that I've been surprised by the number of people whose first comment to me, upon a handshake or greeting is, "You look tired!" I usually stutter and say something intellectual like, "Yeah...well... so what about that thunderstorm last night?" Now while I'm not offended or put off by the comment I am honestly surprised. Aren't I supposed to look tired?Isn't that what is expected of me. I LOOK tired because I AM. Not the "I'm gonna fall over" tired, but the "I was up at 4 a.m breastfeeding my baby" tired. The "My children's naps don't overlap" tired. It goes without saying that lack of sleep, an overtired non-napping baby, a lion-roaring toddler, a day of routine non-routine and peanut butter fingers means a bit of fatigue. Right? I left a message on the phone with a friend and casually mentioned I was also "a bit tired." She immediately called back with urgency and declared, "But why are you tired?!!" I stammered something about a newborn baby's sleeping/eating/crying habits and she said, "Ooooooh." I was surprised by her surprise that I shouldn't be surprised when she acted surprised.. of my fatigued. Or something like that. I think I'm tired. Someone put me to bed.
But it's worth it. Here are my two reasons.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's okay Libby 3 years after the fact and I am still getting told I look tired!! Hopefully it will go away at some point, right.:)

Catherine said...

Now those are two cute boys I must say.

I think people forget what its like to have newborns. When Asher was brand new they would challenge me that I SHOULDN'T be tired, saying "oh, this is the easy part! They just sleep and eat!" What in the world? That might be technically true, but it doesn't mean that Mommy gets to do either one....

Amy H said...

Libby, that's hilarious! Not your post...but when I scrolled down at your 'two reasons', the picture of Shane made me burst out laughing. I'm glad that you still have a sense of humor in all of this. =)

When I was in that tiny-baby-nursing-for-what-seems-like-all-night phase, a friend encouraged me to remember that I won't always have these times...from that point on, I think I treasured those night feedings a little more, although I don't think I have ever treasured feeling tired. =) I will let you go and get some sleep!

Jenn Sanders said...

Wow... I can't believe that people are that shocked. Like you said, you have two little ones. Thank goodness they are so cute and precious... you can make it thru each day.
Don't worry about being tired - you be your tired little self.
You'll feel better one day, right? (ok, that is supposed to be funny. Don't let it make you cry!)