Saturday, October 11, 2008

Mama, you are dismissed

A month or two back I was detained during Shane's bath-time, so my husband took over as I stayed with our guests. It was the first time I was absent during bath time. Whether or not daddy was there, mommy always was. So after our guests left, I went upstairs to join the fun only to find a weeping, sobbing 18 month old, red-eyed and pointing at the door saying "mama" over and over. My husband was at a loss of what to do but made it through bath time nonetheless. It was decided then and there that we needed to do more "mommy absent" bath-times.

And so we have. Many, many times. Ben is a pro as I rock/nurse/sooth/walk/any of the above Luke in another room. But I wasn't totally sure if Shane missed me or if the husband was just doing a good job of distracting.


Last night I lovingly looked on with a sleeping Luke in the sling as Ben bathed Shane. I love being a part of this ritual and do miss it. I admired my growing sons big-boy antics. So much to adore. While I revealed in the scene, Luke awoke and it was time to go. "Say goodnight to mama," Ben coaxed Shane. I eagerly awaited my usual smile and wave and one last endearing look. Without even a glance, even a turn of the head Shane waved. Just the hand. No turning of the body or side glance even. Just a wave, his arm twisted awkwardly around, his little fist opening and closing. His eyes and body fully focused on the bath toys.


Message clear. Carry on, Mom. I left the room with a big surprised smile on my face. I've been dismissed. I get it. I find this moment totally endearing, a sacred step in his maturation and development. And not only did Shane do it, mommy did it too. Good on us....


...good on us.

2 comments:

Catherine said...

Bath time has always been daddy time for us - I'm not even sure I know how to do it anymore! (well, not really, but...) I've always been the bedtime person though. Daddy would do the bath, pj's, and books, and I would take over at the milk, songs, and actually falling asleep part. But about a month ago, Asher announced that he wanted Daddy to do it - and I am now banished from the entire bedtime routine. At first, I really mourned losing this but...not anymore! There's still plenty of chances for me and a whole new baby coming up. Plus, its good Daddy/Son time, which is alway a hot commodity.

Amy H said...

I can totally identify! Sometimes Matthew really wants ME to put him to bed, and sometimes he wants his daddy. We kind of go thru phases. I try not to take it personally as I love it almost as much that he wants his daddy as he does me. =)