Sunday, September 14, 2008

These New Things

He sleeps. Ben's toes hang over the edge of the bed just as they've done since his teenage years.
He sleeps; Shane spreads out over his crib with his blanket draped over on side, a floppy teddy bear hugged to his chest.

He sleeps on his side, Lukas in the big big bed looking so so small next to daddy.
They three sleep but I cannot. My swollen heart keeps me awake, watching, loving, wanting more and more in spite of less sleep, rushed meals and mothering that takes me away from other things. These are the New Things.
Friends are on my mind. I know they are adjusting to New Things themselves. My family is in town. Mom is cooking, cleaning, napping Shane; Dad is running errands, making friends with strangers on the streets, and Cousin Bethany is playing with Shane. Family is spoiling us for an ordinary day. I could really get used to family being so near. These are also New Things.

Time is precious, a treasure even though it is limited. Lukas awakes and even now needs another feeding; the call is ever there. Yet my heart still swells in these New Things.

2 comments:

Catherine said...

I'm glad to hear you are doing well. I remember when my swollen heart kept me awake at night, and I'm glad to hear that it can happen twice.

Catherine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.