We have to make a decision in the next six weeks and it's about naming a Baby (whom, from now on, will be referred to as Little Star). I've surfed websites for original names and looked at the Top 10 Most Popular Names of 2008 so that I wouldn't choose any of those. I've read through the Bible in search of something meaningful and original, and then I have sat and thought really hard and then my brain hurts.
We have a girl name chosen. It's perfect and I love it. Although it's not original to India, it is original for the Western ear. I can't wait to tell you her name. That is, if she's a girl. But we must wait to know such details. A boys name? Now that's tough! I have one in mind and if I must admit, it is a good name.
But I've been thinking. Maybe I'm making more out of finding a "great" name than I ought to. Because maybe it's the person who makes their name great by who they are, rather than a person being "great" because their name is great. Mother Teresa is associated with "greatness" but that's not because her mom gave her a good name. It was her character, integrity and selfless living that gave Mother Teresa a Great name.
Maybe I've always known this. But I'm naming a baby these days and working my brain at it, so I'm forced to re-examine myself. I'm still searching for that original name--call it a Libby Thing. But my amazing friends are amazing for who they are and for Who they represent. Not for a "great" name they were given at birth. This I must remember.
Now I must find a name for a boy. A great name.
4 comments:
Ooof, me too. It took us nine months to come up with "Asher" and now we need another boy name. We're at the bottom of the barrel, having looked at and discarded a million boy names the first time around. Let me know if you have any extras! :)
Names are important, Lib. So important, that God changed people's names, if they didn't fit. Don't consider it silly, that you want a GREAT name. Your child (boy or girl) will be great, because he/she has great parents, who care enough to give him/her a great name!
Rachel
Hey sweetie! It's been awhile. I'm back in the States from Paraguay and it's taken me this week to get back into the swing of things well, but I think I'm finally back (just in time for Karl to leave for 6 days!) I agree with this post...although I think I'm getting pretty stoked about our baby girl name, too. I can't wait to hear yours. I love you. D
Hey - to your first commenter Catherine: that's so funny that you mentioned you have a son named Asher. I just spent a week with a family with a boy with that name. I had never heard of anyone with that name (besides Israel's son) until then. Then tonight at the park, I heard someone call their son that!
Anyway, Libby, I know what you mean. We aren't pregnant again (yet), but we still like to discuss potential names. Dan REALLY likes this one Bible boy name, but it is too common for me. So far the one we both like the best happens to be your hubby's name! =)
Post a Comment