My baby is unhappy and I don't know why.
Well I know partially why, but today was a long and frustrating day of unknowns. If the fever was still there, or a cough or a runny nose, give me a runny nose at least!, then I wouldn't have felt so frustrated. But instead, Shane was sad with large crocodile tears running down his face for most of the day and with no other signs of sickness. His raging-high fever from yesterday morning is way down, he's finally eating more, he's peeing and pooing. But he's sad. I can't figure this out. If he could only talk and tell me "Mamma I hurt here, or I want this mamma". But instead he points with his finger to the light switches as he cries, then he changes his direction and we're now headed to his bookshelf but now he wants the table cloth. I put him down and he cries and cries. Tears and curled lips and lots of it today. I feel like I lost a race because I wasn't able to figure out his needs and hurts and wants. Is this the aftershock of yesterday's diagnosis of a close-call with a viral infection? Does the rash under his lip and around his mouth have anything to do with it? Is it gas?
Because my happiness rests on his, I hope my baby wakes up comforted and happy in the morning. My husband and I are pretty certain that this is a case of first-parent babies-first fever and those aftershock. I'm positive that after fighting this fever for two days now, he'll be better very, very soon.
But I'm still glad tomorrow is a new day.
3 comments:
Libby it is always the hardest when your kids don't feel good. All you want to do is help but you just don't know what to do, that is why we are the comforters. All we have to do is be there. Hugs and kisses and nap time in our arms. That is the best medicine. Hopefully Shane will start to feel better and before you know it he will be able to tell you what hurts. Hang in there Des
Oh, sweet boy, and sweet mommy. I hope for a sunshine-y day for you both...
Oh, Libby, you are not alone. It is so hard to have tired, uncomfortable, children who can't express anything except that they're not happy. After my kids are sick, it seems like they need a day or two to reboot or detox or something. I hope he is happier and feeling better for you all soon!
Post a Comment