I doubted it at the time. Oh those were bone-aching times right after his delivery. Oh those were loooooong nights when my baby had his days and nights mixed up. Oh those were trying times when meals and feedings and family time seemed to be in completely separate spheres of reality. And all the while my friends pleasantly told me, "Hold on, hold fast. These times will soon be go. They grow so fast."
I don't doubt it anymore. I will and can repeat this age-old proverb that our babies not only grow, but they grow quickly. I have done my best to cherish all the daylight hours (and sometimes twinkling nights as well) with my baby. In fact, there's not been one day we've spent apart. He's been in my arms, and now crawling around and pawing his way up into to my arms, for the last 11 months.
But he's growing. And he's doing so...fast.
Somehow, even though all our (baby and I) time has been interwoven together like the stripes of a candy cane, his growth still gets past me. How is that? I vividly recall watching my friend holding Shane. I asked my other friend, "Is he really that big? No really?" She smiled with a, "He really is." I don't see it or feel it when he's in my arms. Or how about those stuffed animals I just pulled out of the closest? I've kept them away until Shane is old enough to appreciate a fluffy dog. The toy dogs are so small now. What, huh? How'd that happen? Yesterday I caught myself telling Shane not to bang his head against the back of the chair. Clothing I thought he couldn't possibly "ever" fit into, can now be worn for maybe one more day.
Time passes but gratefully, thankfully, God thank you!, not a moment has been missed. Kind of. Except for that, "Is he really that big" conversation. And the huge stuffed toys thing. Oh, and the clothes that barely fit too.
Shane is all 11 months today. And in one month....well you know the rest of the story.
2 comments:
11 months?! Can it be?!? I agree with you - I didn't believe it either, but it was so true.
The month between 11 and 12 was very vivid for me; I processed a lot of his life and our togetherness both in my heart and thoughts and blog as I prepared for the big 1.
Libby, i love reading your blog and i can say, i feel your pain! I remember all 12 months of nursing him and him always looking so small to me, but when i would see him being held by someone else his size would shock me. Even now joe or i will take a surprised second look at him and ask, why do you look so OLD today? He still feels like the same small baby to me whenever i hold him, and i have a feeling it will still be the same when he's 30. I love watching him grow and learn and speak! and become more independent. At the same time, i absolutely hate it. It makes my heart ache, but also swell with love and pride. It's the best:-)
Post a Comment