I don't usually touch on issues that others may find offensive or find me being judgmental about. But this evening I am going to be both offensive and judgmental. Notwithstanding, I will do so in love. Or try to.
I opened my home page to CNN this evening where the following headline reads, "Britney Spear's 16 year-old sister is pregnant."
Now, I follow various pop-culture stories to stay in tune with what the American public, if not the world is gossiping about. Sometimes this knowledge however petty it may be, makes the transition into the western culture (which is not only in the west) easier. At least it can serve as fluffy talk or an ice breaker with new friends. Like when I know that Bono is an ambassador for ending poverty in Africa (not petty!) or that Angelina Jolie isn't fighting after all with Brad and they plan on having heaps and heaps of children together (petty).
Now I really don't have that much time in this life-time to write a piece that is actually good and not totally biased or void of passion. We can leave that up to the PR guys who are payed the big bucks to tell the world that Spear's made a mistake and is sorry and will never do "it" again. I am not going to waste my words (precious that they are!) or my time or yours at that with many more words. But this evening I am disturbed. Very, very disturbed. So I will say a teeny bit.
Spear's statement about premarital sex offends me. "I definitely don't think it's something you should do; it's better to wait," she told the magazine. "But I can't be judgmental because it's a position I put myself in."
What..? Is this girl for real? Did she honestly say, "I definitely don't think you should (have premarital sex)" followed by, "But I can't be judgmental."
When did being true to our convictions make us judgmental? Her comment disturbs because she's talking from both sides of her mouth. Let's just pretend for a second that I actually admire the Spear's girls. That I think they are good girls just caught up in the wrong crowd, that because "back in the day" they were great, they are still great today. Let's just say I am a teen who hears the statement, "Don't do it but I sure did so I won't judge you." Will I be motivated to steer clear of that condom? Probably not.
There are so many issues that could be touched upon in this article, aka world-breaking news footage. She's 16. For crying out loud. She's in with The Beautiful People (aka the right clique). And Nickelodeon released a statement: "We respect Jamie Lynn's decision to take responsibility in this sensitive and personal situation. We know this is a very difficult time for her and her family, and our primary concern right now is for Jamie Lynn's well being." This is where I just get sad for miss missy. A "difficult time" which should in fact be the happiest hour of her life. My friend just found out she is pregnant and shouted five times to her puppy, "I'm pregnant, I'm pregnant!" That's the way it's supposed to be. Isn't it? Am I a romantic? Am I living in the dark ages? Maybe I'm just getting old and crotchety.
It's late. I've spent too much time already talking about someone who gets millions of dollars for being a pop-star and who has perfect strangers writing about her "mess up's." Your time and mine is being wasted. I am disturbed just enough to sink so low as to voice my opinion about a child conceiving a child and telling the world "Don't do it, but I did." It's the holiday season and love and cheer is in the air. Maybe that's why I feel so cynical and crude about this. It just doesn't sit well with me.
So enough about this. Bono is saving Africa one child at a time. That's something I'll tune into.
2 comments:
Preach it, Libs!! Thanks for saying what the neutral "pr" guys won't!!
I am so with you... I just saw an article come across internet about plans for a parenting book by Lynn Spears (their mom) being indefinitely delayed... I was like "They were planning one in the first place???!!!" Our worlds standard of wisdom is so sad sometimes!
Post a Comment