Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Powerd-ish Rice

Less than five minutes ago, I rushed into my kitchen where a pot was boiling over. I am making baby food--goodbye Gerber--and am in the process of creating homemade cereal. Yesterday I ground grains of brown rice in the "mixy" until it was powerd-ish, and today I put it to boil on the stove top.

I've come across this recipe for homemade, if not ultra healthy cereal, from a fabulous book that my friend Leah turned me towards. Eyeing my way through the leaves of the book with one eye on the page and another eye on my boiling pot of hot water and powerd-ish brown rice, I focus intently. My eyes scan the lines and I read under my breath, "Make sure the water is boiling before you put the rice in." I have not done that. I read a little further... "Then sprinkle the powder in, a little at a time." I have not done that either. I read on..."You can make your yummy baby cereal even more healthy by adding lentils and small, soft beans."

Sujatah, our house helper, is washing the dishes while I read under my breath, focusing on the books instructions and the boiling rice and water at the same time. "Mama," she says and pauses...."The water must boil first. It will cook faster that way." Humm. "Mama," Sujatah says again, "Put in little by little, like this" and proceeds to demonstrate the "sprinkling method" with her hands. Hum. "Mama," one last time, "I also add lentils when I make this for my children," three of which she has.

I am standing in the kitchen with a book in one hand and a wire whisk in the other. I am talking to a woman who knows what to do in making baby food. She's never read the book in my very hands, and yet she's giving me the exact instructions of the author. I am struck with something.. I have never asked Sujatah her advice, her tips, or opinions on making baby food. A woman with three children, a woman who of course has never known the luxury of boxed, canned, or packed baby food. And here I am feeling inadequate and overwhelmed with how to keep my babies tummy full with this labor intensive task of food making.

Every single day I miss opportunities to learn from this culture because I'm so focused on my own way of doing things. Here in my own kitchen is not only a cultural guru, but another woman who I'd bet you, has felt inadequate about feeding her children as well.

It's not to late to start asking questions. It's never too late.

...So tell me, what else have you fed your babies?

4 comments:

Catherine said...

Hooray for you, Libs! Hooray for having the realization, and Hooray for having the humility to share it.

I made my own baby food (as I had planned to do my whole life) for approximately one week - until I realized I was spending hours and hours and more money that I would have buying it - and Asher wasn't eating it. :)

Better luck to you!

Dawn Coleman said...

Just curious, is the book you are using called super baby food?

Danielle said...

Thanks for the reminder of listening (and therefore learning!) to everyone. Congrats on the victories (refering to your recent newsletter) you've won recently in the areas of social justice....oh, and my kiddos loved sweet potatoes (is that an option in India?) I'd buy about 8, boil them until soft, blend them, and then store them in ice cube trays. Actually, is ANY of that an option in India?

Love you.

Kim S said...

You are a super mom!! Grandpa Bob and I are reading your blog together and he wholeheartedly agrees with you on food prep being labor intensive! He's been cooking for us since my surgery! :)

Happy Thanksgiving!