Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Waist not, want not.


I've lost something. It's my waist. If you find it, please return it to me immediately. I can be found in India at plot no. 7, road no. 3 in a house with green trim.

Oh wait a sec....I think I've found it after all.

There it is. It's laying in the crib, sucking its thumb and fast asleep. Oh, and there it is again. It's growing one tooth and now a second. It's rolling over and sputtering through it's lips and staring with intensity at the windy day. It's cuddling into me, cuddling into dad, splashing in the bath tub, reaching for the keyboard, crying for attention and smiling when I come close again. From the car seat, it's turning around to see daddy and reaching out for him. It's grabbing my face and sucking on my cheekbone saying "I love you, I love you, come closer and closer still."

I remember the days when my waist first went missing. I missed it back then over those nine months. I still miss it. But today as I look into the crib, and feel him pulling my hair, and sense his stare while chatting with Ben, and hear his cry as he is left to nap, I'm reminded exactly where my waist is. And in the great scheme of life, I'm pretty okay with that.

Oh, my sweet darling boy. You've taken my waist and with it my heart. And I most definately don't want that back.

3 comments:

Catherine said...

oooh, Libby...what a great perspective. Soooo true. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh Lib's your blogs about weight and waist lines appeal to us all (especially us women right?) But the Lord has clearly blessed you, and has made it known that women should not WASTE time thinking of how we were in the past. Rather the Lord wants us to look to HIM, now and love him for all he is and all he has made us to be. We have a future with him and no matter how big or small our WAIST's are - his love will gobble you up either way :) So praise the Lord for writing your intimate thoughts about your waist line :) You are loved!

Jennifer said...

Libby,
Thank you so much for this reminder. Just the other day I was going through my closet, lamenting the loss of my waistline and the clothes I probably won't wear again. The sweet laughter and kisses from my boys make me realize how much I have actually gained (beyond the extra inches)!