Sujatah came to work for us 7 months ago. I was pregnant with Shane at the time. Her help carrying buckets of water and heavy loads of wet, dripping laundry to the rooftop to dry was a life-saver. She's essentially been with us since the day Shane was born.I've had to teach Sujatah how to run a washing machine, cut vegetables with knives, open a microwave door, push the "defrost button," turn on the water pump, cook a meal using spices other than turmeric and chili powder, and much, much more.
But I've never taught Sujatah how to love to Shane.
Sure she's a mother herself (of three little girls). But I believe this has to be more than another mother's love.
Today I stood back and watched Shane and Sujatah. She loves him. She cannot enter the room without calling his name. She giggles when he looks her way (which he always does!), and soon his small curled toes are smootherd in kisses. She squeezes her face into his, lights up when he giggles, and takes 10 minutes to say goodbye before going home.
In spite of huge language barriers, in spite of very different napping methodologies for our children, in spite of different pet names we call the small ones we adore, there is something universal about all this. Its name is Love.
Although Sujatah doesn't "know" Shane as I "know" him, for he swam in my womb for nine months, she feels a genuine love for my son. And I don't believe this is just because she's already a mom, or even that my child is gorgeous (which he is) and just can't help herself. Rather it's the universal language of love. It's a wonderful thing to experience, and lately it's been a really wonderful thing to witness.
1 comment:
That is pretty awsome. Sounds like you have a true friend there who is just about part of the family.
Post a Comment