Wednesday, June 27, 2007

What's in a smile?

Think about it. Is there anything, anything at all that makes your heart glow more than a smile from your baby?

I've been thinking about this question for a while...what is it about that smile? The greatest gift Shane has given me yet, besides his birth, was his first smile at 6 weeks old. He had cast upturned lips on occasion, even side smiled as Ben and I leaned over his crib in the morning. But that day, that sacred day, he watched me as I changed his diaper, and suddenly a smile! The heaven's opened up. It was for me. Mine and mine alone. For nobody else but me. I took that gift, placed it in my heart, and shamelessly surrendered my soul to that boy.

Since that day, Shane gives us the gift of his smiles every day. You wouldn't believe what we do for those (or maybe you would)! We dance, do cartwheels, sing silly songs, squawk like chickens, babble like newborns, contort our faces and make odd noises all for that blessed smile. Amazingly enough, we're not the only ones. When Shane and I go out, strangers and friends alike poke, clap, snap, caress, and babble to see a smile. And when he does, oh the glory and the joy which the receiver experiences.

All for a smile. What IS IT about a smile? There must be a connection that threads us all together, universally through a smile. A smile says "I know you're a human, and so am I." It says "Hey, I see you. I acknowledge you." And maybe that need to be acknowledged for whatever reason, is more important to us that we imagine. A smile that comes from a baby is innocent. It' s saying "You're funny or sweet and that's all that matters." Maybe that's the beauty of it. It's pure. A babe's smile hasn't yet been stained by racism or course jokes or nervousness. It's pure and lovely. "I like you, and I'm gonna smile about that."

I want to smile like that too.

So, what's a smile to you?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Libby that makes me think of the first time my girls smiled at me. It also reminds me of the first time Lindsey smiled at Courtney and how excited Courtney was. She said to Kollin and I she knows its me!! Thanks for taking me back to those memories. A smile is worth more to me than anything else. The look forward to the days I get them. They are few and far between with three very emotional girls in the house. :) Love you Des

Catherine said...

Oddly, I was just thinking about the apparent universality of the smile yesterday. I don't know what it is...love maybe, or purity, God's image in us...

Danielle said...

This is beautiful, Libby, and I can so relate. You're exactly right, and it doesn't change. I still melt when Braden, Kole, or Owen look up at me (especially in those unexpected moments) and look at me with admiration or delight or playfulness. And I think you hit the nail on the head as to why, too. Maybe it also has a little to do with our nature. God created us "very good," and while we screwed that up, there's something in us, in our good moments, that delights in seeing others delighted. Danielle