Monday, April 09, 2007

Thank You for Your Graces

In the magazine, Babytalk, a list of 71"new-mom truths" were listed. Here are several that caught my attention.

...You will be proud of every ounce your baby gains.
...You will have some mornings when you bounce out of bed to get the baby...others when you need a truck to drag you out.
...You will get sick of hearing yourself say, "I didn't get to that yet." And that and that and that.
...You will hear about criminals on the news and wonder what their mom's are doing.
...You will be more understanding of friends who've had children before you.

In light of the last "truth",

I would have spent more time with Amy, Danielle and Brooke during "Girls Week." While they nursed, squashed baby food and soothed their babies indoors, I worked on my tan poolside. I'll do better next time Amy, Dan and Brooke.

I would have held my friends babies more. Possibly pinched more cheeks.

I would have understood when friends were a little distracted during coffee-dates, one eye on me and another on their sleeping baby.

I would have held the baby carrier.

I would have spent more time with my sis-in-law asking her questions about all the new-found "newness" while rubbing her feet with Bert's Bee's Apricot Oil.

I would have been more willing to volunteer my time to babysit during women's gatherings while mom's got some "girl-time."

I would have sent more "Congrats" notes to newborn parents and possibly attempted to knit, sew, paint, or glue a homemade gift.

Okay maybe I would've skipped the knitting thing.

I'm grateful to you who've paved the way and offered your graces as I, your friend, came through, into and around you with stumbling attempts to connect during your beginnings of motherhood. I didn't know how to make sense of your new life. I don't totally now. But I know a little better.

I thank you for your graces through the process.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ben and Libby, It is good to hear your all doing well. We have been busy this Spring with our B&B.
We had severe freezing the last couple of nights, so our tomato plants, 5 of our rose bushes and a few other annuals have all died. The temperatures were down in the mid teens. How odd that about 2 weeks ago it was in the upper 70's and even low 80's.
Take care and have a great week.
Brian & Kathy Slind.

Catherine said...

So, so true! I'm going through a similar learning curve...

Anonymous said...

Hi Brian and Kathy -- thanks for the update. Feel free to drop us an email with more updates. We'd love to visit you sometime!
Ben (on behalf of Libby and Shane)