Thursday, October 05, 2006

Precious Pricelessness

A priceless gift was given to me this weekend: a note from the children's home in Calcutta where I worked for 1.5 years. Since 2001, I have had very little contact with these children, some of whom aren't even children anymore. What I loved MOST about spending my days with these kids, was watching them grow physically, mentally, and emotionally. It's amazing what can be witnessed in the lives of traumatized children of abuse and neglect in the matter of a few years. I saw healing happen, little by little, to a girl onced pimped by her father, another who saw her mother burnt alive by angered in-laws, little boys who begged by dancing and singing on buses, and more. The next time someone calls you child-like, remember these children.

Obviously this hand-made card says a lot more than the crayon words.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a terrific encouragement for you, Libby! What has happened in the lives of some of those children helps to balance out some of the other "stuff", right? John B.