Ben and I have been on the road. We just returned from a week-long trip. First to Lucknow, then New Delhi. Both are nothern cities in India each with distinct, original, and unique qualities to their own peoples. We had a wonderful trip, met some wonderful people, ate some wonderful home-cooked meals (Sarah's cooking--fantastic!), interacted in some wonderful meetings, and were wonderfully pleased by these educational and enjoying moments:
1. The discovery of a pigeon in our hotel bathroom in the wee a.m. hours. Flutter, flutter, chirp.
2. The best yogurt drink (lassi) in Northern India comes from an alley-way garage-sized milk shop.
3. Sometimes guests arrive 1.5 hours late, stay until midnight, and no one blinks an eye.
4. A five-hour flight delay means handfuls of peanuts and a diet coke in the VIP lounge... connections are it!
5. Traveling with my husband is one of my favorites in life.
6. I've become quite soft and cushy for air conditioning. I have no excuse for this.
7. Our friend's advice to "never eat something bigger than your head" doesn't apply to our favorite South-Indian dish--masala dosa--aka... rice-paper pancake.... it's longer than your arm, friend.
8. Ben requested a certain book in a certain bookstore, and the clerk proceeded to yell upward at the ceiling. Seconds later from a small hole in the ceiling tumbled the book. He blew off the dust, handed it to Ben and quoted the price. Next?
9. When the electricity goes off, no problem. There's no light, no power for the fridge, TV or AC, but the fans will still blow due to modified car batteries called "inverters". Niiiiiiice!
10. Have I mentioned the yogurt drink?
2 comments:
I still make mango lassi at home, thanks to your introduction, roomie! I LOVE IT!
Thanks for the mention of the 'larger than your head' thing. Nice to know someone was listening to at least one thing I said. :)
Post a Comment