Goodbye PICC line! This morning my house-nurse Jody did the honors and took out my PICC line. No more IV medication. From here on out, it's oral meds all the way.
The DNA test came back with a diagnosis: I have active TB, or Tuberculosis. Basically this means that someone else with TB, most likely in India, coughed or sneezed in my general direction and my body took it in. And I never knew a thing. Until the infection in my leg developed.
Here is my version of what's going on.
A few weeks ago I had a TB injection, which resulted in a nasty flaming red welt on my arm. A flaming red itchy welt indicated I had at least been exposed to TB. But did I have active TB? That took several other tests. One test involved a chest x-ray which in the end revealed no markings in my lungs. That means that I cannot "cough out" my TB. I am grateful for that and I am sure you are too. I'm keeping this one all to myself. The blood work from a DNA test has ultimately shown that I have active TB which means it's inside me and not about to leave without the help of a little treatment.
Which leads me to this question of, what's next?
1.The PICC line comes out. The medication in the IV line was giving my body some form of medication until the final results came back. TB treatment does not involve an IV line.
2. Next Wednesday I meet with the surgical team. There I will get the stitches removed (should I take a vicodin first before that procedure!? I'm such a wimp), and discuss PT options to regain full movement in my left leg. I am off crutches and pain meds but walking "normally" takes a lot of concentration as my left leg is very stiff and causes me great discomfort/pain if bent at all.
3. Next Friday a TB specialist at OHSU will begin treating me (and the family if necessary). I've been told that treatment is a lot of pills every day for a lot of months.
4. The state of OR has to be notified by law of any TB patients. Therefore I received a call this morning and answered a handful of questions and have been given a case manager who deals with "all" the TB cases in OR.
How do I feel? I feel great. With the except of a small limp and few bruises here and there from all the pokes and prods over the last few weeks, you wouldn't know of the TB. But don't take my word for it. Drop in for a visit. I'd love to see you! Or drop me a line here and post a note.

4 comments:
Ok, here's my note, but I wish I was dropping in for a visit...
I left a longer note on FB...thinking of you!
I vote yes on the Vicodan pre-stitch removal. are they stitces or staples? Stitches, in my experience take less time, but more dramatic jerky motions. staples are less painful but take longer, each little pinch, pinch,pinch gets harder to take. Neither one is terrible. But the vicodan should help.
thanks for the tip tracy! I will do it!
cath-bath--thanks for your note. I have felt close to your heart with your comments and prayers through this journey. thanks for standing by.. near.
Post a Comment