Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Our ridiculous sleeper

Let's see. With 10 minutes on the clock before Shane gets up from his morning nap, I will do my best to squeeze in these thoughts. He will wake up from this nap, play until 1:00pm., nap again, play, and after dinner he will go to bed at 6:00pm. The amount of sleep he needs throughout the day is ridiculous.

He's our Ridiculous Sleeper. There's just no other way to put it. From the time Shane was born until now at almost 19 months, he's been sleeping an exorbitant amount of hours during the day and night-time. He broke all statistics of newborns who are "supposed to" sleep X-amount of hours, then climbing into four months he was "supposed to" become more wakeful, etc. But instead of becoming "more wakeful" he's still sleeping. At 9 months old Shane quite his third nap, and now at 19 months with each passing day I wonder when he'll have more hours of wakefulness. So far though, even while I watch and listen he's holding fast to those two naps, rubbing those eyes and yawning as nap time/bedtime approaches.

And here's the thing: none of this forced. I say that because of the direct and non direct accusations of being one of "Those Mom's." I've been questioned with, "Do you still have Shane on That schedule?" To which I reply, "Yes, Shane is still one sleepy baby!"

There was a time when Shane learned to sleep without me. Around three months old I determined (via going crazy) that taking every nap together wasn't going to work anymore. So I allowed him to cry for 20 minutes before soothing him with my own tears and cuddles. In three days the crying lessened (my own tears did not) and by the end of the week he was napping alone.

Since that time, napping and sleep time has been effortless. I have a gap in the morning and two hours in the afternoon to email, nap, read and/or bake while Shane naps. Each evening my husband and I have dinner by 6:30 just us two, and then either work, play a game, or watch a movie.

Why do I share? Because our very-soon-to-be second child may quite possibly be totally different! And if there's anything at all that I have doubts about, it's that I won't know what to do with a baby who refuses naps and cries in the middle of the night. I've been told countless time that this is true with number two, and I'm prepared for that in every way. Except for having a baby who isn't a ridiculous sleeper.

Shane sleeps so much because he was born a sleeper. That's the only way I can understand it. Sure, I aided in his ability; naps are a priority he has rarely missed. I rearrange my schedule so we're home for naps and in bed by 6:00 pm. I politely refuse outings if it means a missed nap or a too-late bed-time. This means that I may come across as the sleep warden of a prison. But admittedly I grow weak in the knees when my baby is yawning and leaning into me with a "sleep mommy, sleep" look in his eyes. I cave and offer him what he needs.

I will do my best to encourage our second child to nap. It will look different--this I know--and I do have this anxiety. But then again I'm sure Little Star will be ridiculous at something. Even if it's not sleeping. And I will somehow adjust, just as life becomes with children in the mix.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lib if you need any advice with a baby who is "ridiculously awake" -- I'm your woman. If Shane broke all the statistics of how much babies "should be sleeping," Lillian broke all the statistics of how much babies "should be waking." At 11 months, she's often good with 11 hours at night (including 2 + wakings) and a 45 minute nap . . . good grief, I need more than that!!!

Good luck with your number 2 :-). Anxiously awaiting the moment with you.

Love ya,

Rachel

Dawn Coleman said...

2 thoughts - First, you are SOOO fortunate that Shane is still napping while your 2nd will be so little! Marshall learned how to crawl out of his crib 2 weeks after Samara was born and he's never had a daytime nap since, short of me restraining him to sleep for one hour or carseat naps! Wah!
2nd - I need to be a little more like you with the schedule thing, in the sense that Jake and I have been too lax lately and then it results in something like last night - Samara whining/crying and Marshall saying "bed please?" Oh I felt like such a bad mom!

Catherine said...

Wow, Shane still takes two naps?! Or did I misread that?

Asher is a GREAT sleeper - one of the best we know. But even so, won't fall asleep before 8:30pm (anymore) and won't sleep past 6:30am (and 5am is more likely). This means no evening, since I go to bed early to get up early! But he does still take a nap, thank goodness...

Athena said...

I almost feel guilty leaving this information .......You described Taylor (my oldest) to a T. He is just like Shane- My little 1 year old Jakson, however is a different story. He will NOT nap. I need those few hours a day and he just will not do it. He does go to bed really early and sleep through the night, but oh what I would do to get him to nap more. I have decided though the cause for non-interest in napping and it is big brother. Little brother doesn't want to miss a second with his best friend. I guess there could be worse things to complain about :+)

Connections said...

I need 2 naps a day . . . wait, I'm 46 and work full-time. That won't work! You and Ben are great parents and Little Star will be just as wonderful and blessed as Shane. Love you all. Leslie

Anonymous said...

Libby, I am in the same boat. Courtney has been a sleeper from the first day out of the womb, she still takes nap after school sometimes and she is 8. Lindsey on the other hand has never been very good with naps or sleep. She stopped taking her naps at 2. She sleeps 8 hours at night and takes no naps. It is so hard to deal with cause we are not used to it. It is so frustrating so if you need anything I am definitely your girl. I have one of each. Hand in there and let us know how things are going. Patiently waiting for little star to show up!!!

Renee said...

Hey Libby, its been a long time since we've seen each other. I can't believe you only have 6 (ish) days to go, wow! I hope everything goes smoothly with your L&D

Ria was a terrible sleeper. She was up every 45 minutes all night long for a year and naps were a fight.

But we're both here to tell the tale. She is a good sleeper now and still takes an afternoon nap, god bless. You'll be ok :)

Best of luck!
Renee, Rajiv and Ria