Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Is this how I pictured my life?

A load of laundry rested on one hip while a younger Shane rested on the other. I was returning from hanging laundry. Climbing down the stairs, a grin stole onto my sun burnt face. I remember the moment very clearly because in a split-second I saw myself in a snap-shot. Married lady hanging laundry with child on hip. I just had to grin! Is this how I planned my life? Ten years ago did I picture myself doing the housewife/mommy thing, doing the daily chores of housework, feeding babies and a husband? I, of all people, did not plan it this way.

I didn't plan it this way because on my terms I would have been married those ten years ago. While I didn't grow up to "only" want marriage and babies, at the very same time I figured it would just happen. Eventually. You know, like around my early 20's. Like my mom for instance. She married my dad, her high-school sweetheart on the day of his graduation from medical school. She was only a kid at 21 years old. Although I never felt pressure to marry any of my high school boyfriends, in hind-sight I did expect things to "fall into place" early. Earlier that is, than my late 20's, that's for sure.

But that's exactly what didn't happened. Time kept getting past me. I did the college thing where you're supposed to find Mr. Right. There, I found a Mr. Possibility but in quiet moments of reflection, I couldn't tune-out the unsettling in my heart. Six months after graduation, I headed to Kolkata, India without attachments to much of anything but a teeny kitten my mom had adopted. Focused, driven, and totally submerged in my new world of street kids, drug addicts, slum dwellers and abused women (all of whom became and still are my dearest friends) it was Mother Teresa's beautiful city that captured my heart.

Yet I was still restless for love. It's always there, isn't it? I turned 25 years old in India. I remember a surprise party and getting my nose pierced for $5. I'm certain I wondered back then when my turn would come for love. By 25 years old my mom was on her second child and mastering homemade bread while I, at 25, was on my second world-tour and mastering street food and intestinal parasites.

Love did happen eventually only it wasn't on my terms of when, how, and where. It happened much later in life than I had "just supposed" it would. The landmark moments of life didn't make Mr. Right magically appear after all. I returned from India and my friend Ben left for his own stint in India. Time kept ticking.....we mailed letters and sent packaged.

But Love finally knocked all those years later and I was faced with this choice: Love this man Ben, or miss out in life. I chose Love. I'm so glad I did.

And I'm so glad to be in this "other story," the one I didn't picture. I walked down the isle eight years later than I was "supposed" to. We began our family when I was 31 years old, while many of my peers are enrolling their children in 1st grade. Here I am today in a life unpictured and unplanned. By me. Yet....while my life didn't happened on my terms and timeline, it is a life where dreams come true. It's so so good to be here, with laundry on one hip and a baby on the other.

Just like it was always supposed to be.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Libby how true it is that life doesn't work the way we want it to. I remember always saying I would marry at 25 and have kids at 30. I am not even 30 and I have two kids. I also said I would marry someone taller than me to. Guess that didn't happen either. :) But God is so good, he nows what we need and when we need it. He carried us as far as he needs to. Love you girl and thanks for the reminder that we are not in control he is!!

Anonymous said...

This year I turn 30, I was "supposed" to be pregnant with kid number 3 or 4 by now . . . I'm still nursing kid number one, and I am so glad God knows what He's doing . . . cause I sure don't!! Love ya, Libs!!

Rachel

Anonymous said...

Oh Libby! I can't even begin to tell you how your writing captures so many of my feelings about life and motherhood. I too thought that marriage and family would come sooner. I rushed into marriage the first time and it was to the wrong person. My husband now is not who I would have "pictured" to father my children. On the outside we are so different, but our souls are the same and I couldn't imagine going through life with anyone else. I thank God everyday for sending this wonderful man and for blessing me with two healthy beautiful boys (I always pictured girls :+) but now can't imagine life with girls). I also pictured myself as a successful business woman and mother and now I too stay at home. I am so thankful that life didn't turn out the way I "pictured" it would.

Dawn Coleman said...

Thanks for sharing a little of your journey in discovering what God had planned for you!

melissa said...

Libby, that is so beautiful!!! Thanks for sharing your heart!