Wednesday, March 19, 2008

I've gotten used to

I've gotten used to:
Decaf' coffee without the buzz to get me going with a near-toddler...
Lots and lots of diapers changes...
Heat rashes, ugly as they may be...
A missed nap every Sunday morning...
My husband and I switching Baby Duty each Sunday, walking around the church-grounds to do whatever with a squiggly child...
Sometimes feeling fatigued, sick, snotty-nosed or moody yet still keeping up with a baby...
Dusty finger prints on my pants, and food splattered in my shirts pretty much all the time...
That always-tired look of motherhood and trying not to care.

I'm getting used to:
Picky eating and/or disinterest in food at all...
All-over-the-house playing (long gone are the days of sitting in one place to play)...
Weeks and weeks of solid napping stopped suddenly by wakeful playfulness...
Spitting out food mommy especially prepared just for the baby...
Vocal opinions of wants; me wondering in awe, "Was that a temper tantrum?!!"
Saying no lots and lots with little response...
Growing tummy, growing toddler, growing questions if I'm ever going to feel rested again...
That always-tired look of pregnancy and trying not to care.

3 comments:

TwoSquareMeals said...

I'm here to tell you, two years down the road with number two, that you will feel rested again. Not completely, not completely ever again, once you are a mom. But you will get through pregnancy and those first months and that first year to find two little ones who play together enough to give you a little time to yourself.

Anonymous said...

I am just glad that I am not the only mom who feels that way. Hang in there in a couple of years you'll wonder were the time has gone and look back and not remember the fatigue at all. Just those wonderful memories.

Danielle said...

Have you read any "Love and Logic" stuff? I am getting into it--again. It's amazing stuff. Anyway, you've been "tagged." Visit my blog (towards the end of the really long entry) to find out what that means. Love you. Danielle