Wednesday, November 28, 2007

A good Indian girl

Being the good Indian girl that I am, I head to Kolkata early tomorrow morning with Shane. Being the good Indian girl that I am, when the husband is away, the Good Indian Girl does NOT stay alone but travels home to stay with her family. Being alone is not a common much less an embraced situation, especially with young Indian wives. I am young, I am a wife, and Ben is away in London for the next 10 days. Therefore a quick two-hour flight has been arranged to drop me in Kolkata to stay with my Indian family which means we'll drink lots of tea together and lounge around with children racing all over and nobody making excuse for the messy house. I am excited to see these lovely people who are so beautiful (and yes I mean exterior as well). Shane has little idea what fun and adventures await him. I'll be on-line again in 5 days to tell the tales. In the meantime, enjoy your own personal adventures as well.

Food for thought: There may possibly be an Indian woman living near you and she may possibly long to have an adopted family of her own.....even to share a cup or two of tea with you.

3 comments:

Catherine said...

Oh, believe me - there are far more Indian families living near me than there are Caucasian families! When I go to the library, market, pool, more people are wearing saris than jeans. And I look at them all longingly, wishing I could get up the nerve to ask to be adopted....I have managed to start up a few conversations, but never quite to the adoption part...

Kim S said...

Oh, this brings back memories of trying to find a recipe, trying to get the right ingredients, trying to make, trying to order just the right "tea" for the young Indian bride who moved to Hood River straight out of her village in India. She was so lonely. We had unusual shopping trips with lots of pointing and non-verbal communication. And eventually she let me know that she liked coffee better than tea. Coffee is easy!

Danielle said...

I can't wait to hear more stories. I actually don't see many Indian women in our area, but I'm sure I also haven't been looking hard. Thanks for the reminder. I love you.