Thursday, June 07, 2007

Oh. I'm white.

Sometimes I forget that the color of my skin is different than those around me. Sometimes I forget that my accent, my hair, eyes, well just about everything physical separates me from the people we are living amongst.

Like the other day. I ran to "my" fruit stand with Shane. Scooping off banana's and oranges the owners, two Muslim brother's, made space on a shelf for Shane to sit in his car seat while I browsed. Customers squeezing through the one small isle paused to give Shane a quick pat, or pinch, or coo-coo-coo. As I was picking through the oranges just a few piles of fruit away, I suddenly thought, I should stick close to Shane. Someone might not know he's with me. I don't want him to be mistaken to be with another mom."

I didn't realize the hilarity of this thought until much later. I'd forgotten for a moment that Shane couldn't possibly be mistaken for any one's baby but mine. White baby belongs to white woman. It's not rocket science. But I did forget.

Maybe it's because we've become friends, these two brothers and I, over the last 16 months. I don't feel like a stranger because they don't treat me like one. We exchange produce as well as conversation. When a bomb blast ripped through a mosque last month, I said "I'm sad it happened," and "Are your families okay?" "Yes, madam, but it's our people," they responded with a sad smile. I sad-smiled in return. They always ask how Shane is doing and I always tell them he's getting fat. I like my little fruit stand. But I like my friends even more.

Relationships. It makes me forget the separating factors, and reminds me that we're all breathing the same air.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Libby,
Thanks for the reminder that we are all different but the same in God's eyes. You are such an inspiration to me and your constant updates are amazing to read! I love you so much and appreciate your words and actions. Des

Anonymous said...

thank you for reminding us what we should forget