The pile of garbage that lies across from our home on the corner is a frequent meeting place for the buffalo and the cow, the dogs and the rats, and the ragpickers or children, men and women of all ages who search through the massive pile for anything to be eaten, traded, sold, or recycled.
So it's not unusual for both man and animal to linger near our home. But today was different. Today, someone got brave.
I was unloading the groceries into the fridge while Sujatah, our househelper, got the rest of the bags from the car. After some time I peeped out the door wondering why it was taking her so much time. She came hurrying up the stairs waving her arms saying, "Cow, cow maam, cow." Apparently, the open door of the car with plastic bags brimming with bananans, grapes and oranges had lured three cows and one was so bold as to be sticking his nose into the banana's. Sujatah tried to bat the cow away but he was determined. Finally he sauntered away. I walked out to take a look at him--he looked back at me, eye to eye, and what could I say? What do you say to a hungry cow? I've just never had to think about this before, much less think about getting my groceries inside before a cow gets first nibbles. This is definately a step in the direction of culture learning.
4 comments:
Libby you are so cute!!! That would not be the first thing I would think of. Several bad words come to mind!!HAHAHAHA I love reading you blogs and look forward to your new postings. We love you guys. The Robbins Family
Libs, doesn't this remind you of some of the songs we wrote about cows when we were in India together? I distinctly remember the phrase "its a cow stare!" but I don't remember what that meant...
That is hysterical!
Who would have thought a stare down with a cow...truly a cultural learning experience.
Loved seeing you and speaking with you last night. Very precious. You look fabulous.
Post a Comment