Falling coconuts from our two coconut trees severed the electric line that gives our home power: power for whirling fans to ward off heat and mosquitoes, power for the fridge to keep frozen chicken frozen, and chilled milk chilled. Power to run the washing machine, power to play worship music, power to watch the evening news, and power to run the computer for email, blogs, and other such work. Electricity rules our lives and when it was taken, unexpectedly, I found myself slightly...overheated.
The servant who lives next door climbed over our locked gate, and had his friend cut down the coconuts for a profit on the market. All was done when we weren't home. And actually, our landlord told him to do this (cut the coconuts down; not climb over lock-and-key). But we were not informed of this, nor of the fact that the electrical wire had been severed, nor that it was so damaged by the fall that the entire cable would have to be replaced and provided--by us.
A sticky night of no power and no whirling fans is not uncommon. But something wasn't right as we were the only house without power and whirling fans. At midnight, the mystery was solved but it wasn't until evening the next day, that Ben and his gang of electricians had repaired the damage.
Did I really record in my last blog that I wanted to work on seeing the goodness and humanity in every day life? I know there is a reason that blame was never a part of the equation from the ones who severed our power line. Or that we were not immediately informed of the damage. I know, I know. And I want to see the good in others. Want, want, want.
Wanting to do good and actaully doing good are two different things. This journey is in no way simple or easy, for humanity, or the human race is living side by side, and I have been forced to choose once more, how I will participate.
So I confess to you that I will choose today, to believe in the good of humanity in this particular situation.
I just needed to say that out loud.
4 comments:
Thanks for sharing, Libby. It sounds like a very challenging situation. Nathan tells me that we should love the challenges that God gives us becasue they serve to improve our character. I say, I'll love them when they're done and I can laugh about them, but in the mean time I hate them and can't wait for them to end. I probably should be more like Nathan. Oh well. At least you can laugh about it now. The next time I eat a coconut I'll be thinking of you and your growing character :)
Love,
Trisha
So I bet that wasn't in any culture training you ever received: "Warning, flying coconuts may disrupt work, leisure and even rest time." Without the daily struggles and flaws of our fellow humans, we would loose half of all our good writing material. "wink"
Hope all will be back to normal soon. Is there a coconut season or do they grow year round?
Kim,
From what I observe as an outsider in this culture, it does seem to be coconut season right now. Carts overflowing with cococuts fill the city unlike I have noticed before. So I don't think it was just our three trees that "blossomed" the fruit. This is what I understand.
Your authenticity is beautiful, Libby...as is your growth.
Post a Comment