Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Faithful in the Small Things

It's nothing new really. Be faithful in the small things.

These are the words spoken from my friend. She's the kind of woman who doesn't speak words of truth just to hear her own voice or to quote a lesson from Sunday school 20 years ago. This spoken truth is birthed from life experience; a terribly painful past, in fact, where fancy words, noted accomplishments, positions and labels, and a "spiritual" reputation ultimately stabbed her in the back. Be faithful in the small things, Libby. I've heard it before but this time it's stuck....right here between my ribs, and I can't dislodge the ache in my side to begin listening.

Now the question is: What does it mean, on a daily basis, to be faithful in the small things? Today it means I read my Bible at 8:00 a.m., journaled and worshipped in song. For lunch, it means making a meal that put a smile on my husbands face and fills his tummy. And maybe later it'll mean writing a note to my neighbor Nisha to say thank's for the fun evening out last night.

I want to be faithful in the small things. It's a practice as old as the face of the sun, and it deserves my attention.

Time to hang the laundry.

No comments: