Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Dear Readers...


What indeed, is Puchka? My mother-in-law wants to know--maybe you do too. My friends, it is the best-of-the-best of street food. I have been restrained (they say "advised") by my husband, my mother, and other well-intended loved ones to give up my love for Puchka. But I cannot. Puchka really is an art in how it's eaten but I will give you the artless version, as art itself must be experienced in order to fully appreciate it's taste. The Puchka itself is a small, hollow, crunchy, deep-fried circlular ball, the size and shape of a golf ball. The man serving Puchka, always stands, never sits, and stations himself for many hours in the evening time at one particular place. The hollow-ball is then filled with a dime-sized portion of a potatoe/chili/garbanzo bean mixture (all mixed by hand in a bowl). The filled morsel is then hand-dipped into tamarin/chili water and finally placed, dripping wet, into the dried-leaf bowl. To my shame, I once downed 18 in one standing, while my friends easily have 25 plus... and still going.
Now that your mouth is watering just like mine, I am gonna sneak past my husband and go find me a puchka...or two or three.

4 comments:

Amber Himes said...

you and your crazy love of puchkas. =) i guess i can't knock it till i've tried it, right?

love the pics.

Anonymous said...

I think the best way to learn about culture is through that particular country's food. It speaks on so many levels: the care & preparation, the ingedients, how its served, the flavor; these are all a part of experiencing the art that is found in this new, wonderful people group. Go Libby! Keep learning!

Tracy said...

I don't think I'd ever be daring enough to try puchka, but I'm impressed and awed that you do...

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm.....sounds wonderful. I'd love to try sometime!