Finally Free
I had been home in Portland, Oregon, for six months when I received the news. My roommate Chandni was visiting friends in America and called me. We had been talking for 15 minutes when she relayed the news. “Libs,” she said, “I called Calcutta last week and was talking to a friend. He mentioned he’d seen Nula’s name in the newspaper.”
He had been skimming the morning paper on a lazy Sunday morning, and happened upon Nula’s name.
In the obituaries.
Cause of death was not mentioned, nor the date either.
Nula’s death is a mystery to me. At one time, it was a painful mystery. Unable to make contact with anyone who would know the details of her home going, I have spent the last five years wondering about the details of my friend’s death. Why? How? Why wasn’t I told? Why did the news take so long to reach me?
Did she die of a broken heart?
Recently I learned a few more details. Apparently she returned to Nagaland within weeks after we had our final goodbye. And there, she died. A heart attack. A broken heart.
Five years ago I mourned the death of Nula, but more than anything, mourning for her loss without answers was the most difficult. Sure there are instances in life where answers are not always given. I don’t think I have some “right” to these answers. Our chapter was closed the day we said goodbye and Nula knew it. I really believe she did. But now it is closed for me. I will always love that woman with the muscular hands and thick neck.
I have a dream to some day visit her village in remote North East India, to speak to her family, and to hear about the days of Nula. I may even be so bold as to ask about that very day, the day she was freed from epilepsy and suffering and social stigma.
I love you Nula. You walked a precarious life one day at a time, and your memory is forever seared in my memory. I can’t wait to see you again! We will play in the rain and listen to Lee Ann Womack.
And now her story, which has lain in my heart for many years, has been told.
The End.
3 comments:
Great stuff Libby...
Keep 'em coming.
Libby - so glad you shared your blog address! Blog hopping is my new favorite hobbby! I have to be careful or I can sit for a couple of hours at a time some nights jumping from blog to blog. If you're interested, there's a link on my blog for Sunday Scribblings - a creative writing exercise run by a couple of bloggers (one in Portland, one in England) where they give a prompt and then you write a post on your blog and link it to the Sunday Scribbling site. It's great fun and I've met alot of new bloggers that way.
Thanks for sharing Nula's story. She sounds like an amazing sister. What a blessing that the Father brought you together during that special time in both of your lives.
Hi, Libby
You have such a gift for creating word pictures that make your heart clear to those of us who need your touch of reality under the lordship of Jesus.
The Nula story is one that speaks so powerfully of Luke 4:18-19. Thank you for proclaiming good news to us, doing it like Jesus.
May you touch and be touched by more Nula's. And I hope you'll touch us too.
Gerry Breshears
Post a Comment